The index of authors
There is no right way of doing this, so I have chosen the following scheme, just like your local lending library:
- Where the author has a 'forename/surname' combination, they are listed in alphabetical order of surname. So Michael Arram is sorted under A for Arram, not M for Michael
- The surnames MacDonald and McDonald are filed strictly alphabetically, unlike the phone book, where they both appear in the same section. So Machelli comes after MacDonald and before McHooter, who comes before Macky.
- Where the author is a single word name they are listed in alphabetical order of that name. So Failte200 is sorted under F
- Where the author is a a hyphenated name or a name with an apostrophe or a name with a prefix (such as de, van, O' etc), they are listed in alphabetical order of the first part of that name. So D'Artagnon is under D and Cy-kun is under C. Obviously this holds true in every segment of the index.
- Where the author's name is a compound name that is obviously not forename/surname, they are sorted under the first part of the name. So Angel Love is under A, as is AZ Story Guy